top of page

Gulls Advance in Cup, 2-0

Updated: May 28, 2019

Man of the Match Aaron Arias

Grays Harbor Gulls FC won the first ever Washington State Super Cup match on Saturday with their second 2-0 win over Harbor Force this season.

Grays Harbor scored two nearly identical goals on Saturday, but their defense only needed one, limiting Harbor to just three shots on goal in the Gulls second clean sheet of the season.

The Gulls opened the scoring just seven minutes into the match. A good passing sequence at the top of the box ended with Aaron Arias flicking the ball through to a cutting Alex Pugadelarosa, who beat the keeper to the near post.

In a very similar attack, the Gulls scored again with Arias again playing in an attacker, this time Juan Oropeza, whose left footed shot to the near post beat the keeper with 30 minutes played. The Gulls had other chances to add to their lead, with Juanito Lopez just missing two chances in the first half.

The second half was a chippy affair, with the ball mostly in the midfield third. Harbor Force's best chance came on a long free kick that Keeper Alexis Garcia caught in the top corner of the goal.

With the match being part of the State Cup Tournament, teams were only allowed 3 subs during the match. After 60 minutes played, Tony Oropeza replaced Aaron Arias, at 75 minutes, Christian Sanchez replaced Cesar Corona, and at 85 minutes, Jonathan Molina came on for Jacob Irwin.

As the clock hit 90 minutes, Juan Oropeza made a sliding challenge to stop a Harbor attack. Oropeza received his second yellow of the match and was sent of and will miss the next Gulls Cup match.

Grays Harbor advances to the semi-finals of the Washington State Super Cup, and the draw for their next match will be held on Monday, June 3rd.

For his two assists, Aaron Arias was named the Gulls Man of the Match.

The next match for the Gulls will be Saturday, June 1, at 4pm at Stewart Field against their WWPL rival, Lacey FC.

183 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page